Friday, November 2, 2012

"For I know the plans I have for you..."

Declares the Lord.
This is a difficult concept for me, I get very caught up in planning. It tends to be my idea of control... then He chuckles.
This is not what " I " had planned.

Last week Greg was scheduled to come home from AZ on Sunday night. Hurricane Sandy decided to bear down on Maryland, all flights canceled.
This was NOT my plan.
Mira began walking on her own last week, atleast until Sunday evening. By Monday am she refused to put weight on her right leg, then she complained of pain, then she began with a fever. Pin site infections are all but required if you have the type of surgery Mira had. We have taken every measure to prevent this but ... Not in my control.
I called Dr Standard, we discussed all the possibilities and decided Mira needed to begin oral antibiotics ASAP, chances were she had developed a pin site infection. We decided how to treat the fever that continued to creep up and agreed we would see him on Thursday since Mira was scheduled to have her cast removed. Over the next several days we alternated Tylenol & Motrin for fever and administered Keflex for infection. She began to improve slowly.
However, Mira continued to refuse to walk.
Wednesday night she spiked a fever of 103.3 on the antibiotics. Thankfully we were scheduled to see Dr S Thursday for cast removal. When I called to notify him if the temp he said to bring an overnight bag "just incase".
This is NOT what I had planned.
We arrived for our appt with Dr S and were quickly taken to remove her cast. We were also told that Mira was being admitted to the Children's Hospital for IV antibiotics. When they removed the cast we were surprised to find a pea sized wound on the side of her leg. Upon further inspection they discovered it was likely just a small pressure sore from the cast. This was not where the infection was coming from. It was from a weeping pin on Mira's right leg. The decision was made for Mira to go back to the OR this am to have debridement (scraping) done to the pressure sore and remove a wire from her fixator & possibly remove & replace the sore pin.
This was NOT my plan.
Approximately 1 1/2 hrs after going into surgery we were reunited with our sweet girl. As we began looking at the doctors work we quickly realized there was a change in plans. Mira had an electronic pump attached to her left leg. It is called a hema-vac, it's job is to provide O2 and suction to a wound. Mira has a very SERIOUS infection in her left leg... Not the right leg at all. What was thought to be a simple pressure sore is actually an infection in the plate that is used to reattach her femur after removing a wedge to straighten it. We were told she needs to stay in the hospital until Tuesday.
This is NOT my plan.
She will have to go back to the OR on Tuesday to have the hema-vac removed, more debridement & a big decision made. The decision is whether the infection has improved enough to go to home on oral antibiotics or if they need to continue IV antibiotics. If so, she will need a pic line.
This was NOT in my plans.

Sometimes we focus on what we want to do, how we want to do it and if there is the slightest variation it's throws us off. The Lord has grown me today. Not only am I NOT in control but we are to listen to ALL of His word.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord." plans to prosper you & not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."~Jeremiah 29:11
The plans that are spoke of are not MY plans in this instance. They Mira's plans. Despite the trials she is going through now, she is promised not to be harmed, she is promised hope & a future. All of those things weren't the case 7 months ago. While we are all making sacrifices for the next several days, weeks or months it is nothing compared to the sacrifice that was made by God. This is what I needed to be reminded of this past week as I have whined that things aren't going MY way.
I am happy to say Mira is doing good, she is resting well. She is back to eating again but she seems quite frustrated that she can't get around like she wants to! Please keep Mira in your prayers as she has a tough recovery ahead of her. Best case scenario is being discharged on Tuesday afternoon on oral antibiotics for 4-6 weeks. The other is being discharged on Thursday with a pic line on IV antibiotics for 4-6 weeks followed by a long course of oral antibiotics. The other issue is, the only way to truly heal this infection is to remove the plate which can't be done yet since it is holding her leg together! The goal is to remove the plate as soon as it us safely possible.
I will post again soon,

No comments:

Post a Comment